Sunday, February 5, 2012

How to Make a Camera Strap Cover

My hubby, Dave, did his first year of refereeing high school football this fall.  He loved it!  It made me happy to see him happy, but I missed having him on the sideline.  We went in different directions on most Fridays and I didn't like that.  Now he has decided to try umpiring girls softball, which means going in separate directions again.  I usually cover baseball for some of the local newspapers, not softball.  That's made me think about streamlining what I carry to the ballpark since my sweet "pack mule" won't be there to help.  Most of the time I have pockets for business cards and lens caps, but sometimes I don't.  So, why not add pockets to my camera strap?

This is what I used to make my fabulous camera strap cover:

2 strips (23" long x 3-1/2" wide) of heavy fabric (for strap)
2 strips (4" long x 3-1/2" wide) of matching heavy fabric (for pockets)
2 strips (2" long) Velcro

My camera strap is the basic one that comes with Nikon cameras.  It measures 22-1/2" from edge to edge and is 1-1/2" wide.  I needed a pocket to accommodate my telephoto lens cap and business cards, so I decided the width should be 3".  First, I cut two strips of heavy fabric to 23" long and  3-1/2" wide and then I cut another two strips to 4" long by 3-1/2" wide.

Next I had to cut the corner on a diagonal, keeping a 1" open end.  Since I quilt, all my quilting supplies came in handy.  If you don't quilt, you can make a pattern from plain paper.

This is what you'll have.

Next, you'll need to turn the end edge 1/4" and hem.

Also put a 1/4" hem in one edge of the pocket and then sew the other end to the strap material.


I wanted the strap cover to be easy to remove, so I added Velcro to the center edge of one side.  I ran a 1/4" hem 5" along the center edge of each side.  If you don't want to add Velcro, you can hand-stitch the opening closed or add a snap of some sort.


Pin the two strap pieces together and sew one side from edge opening to edge opening.  On the opposite side, sew from the edge opening to midway to the already-hemmed Velcro opening.


Now trim the edges close to the seam.

Lastly, turn the material right-side out and press.  I used an interior fabric used for pillows or slip-covers, so I couldn't iron the fabric directly without melting it, so I covered it with a pillowcase and pressed with a steam iron.


So, there you have it, a camera strap cover with pockets for my business card and lens cap.  Nothing is ever perfect the first time, though.  I don't wear my strap around my neck.  It's too cumbersome and awkward.  I wrap it around my arm,which means the pockets hang in the wrong direction. :(

Which means I won't use it, BUT ... If anyone out there wants a nice camera strap cover--FREE!  Leave a comment and I'll have my FIRST (and probably ONLY) give-away.  It's in a wonderful tan/black suede-like material, making it ideal for both men and women.  I'll do a "drawing" next Saturday, February 11, 2012.

Come on now, leave me a comment.  You know you want this unique camera strap cover.  You'll be the envy of all your photog friends!

9 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

My wife didn't care for advertising Nikon while using her camera so she bought a flowery paisley hippie looking one off of eBay or Amazon. Anyway, that got me thinking. I looked at what was out there and ended up getting one billed as a traveller's theft-proof strap. It is made with a thin stainless steel wire running the length through it so as the idea goes, no one can cut and run off with your camera. That wasn't a concern for me. I just liked the narrow profile of the strap but was worried the wire might make it stiff and awkward. Well it proved otherwise and I love this strap. It is 3/4 inch wide with a 1 1/2 - 2 inch wide non-slip shoulder pad. made or sold by pacsafe. Don't put me in for the give-away, I just wanted to share my strap story. Nice step by step on how to make one though.

Unknown said...

Your cover looks amazing. putting the pockets upside down sounds like something I would do. A place for my lens cap would be wonderful. I am always losing mine. This last time it took me a month to find it. It was outside on my back wall..

Gina Kleinworth said...

You did a great job- it's the same fabric I used when creating the Coronado strap for my store- only now I can't get it here anymore & I had to discontinue that style.

Nancy said...

You lost me at business cards... but I still love the strap. Count me in! :)

S. Etole said...

It's quite elegant and so handy with the little pockets.

Anita Johnson said...

Well, I would love to have it. I tried making one with some success. The fabric was cotton and the design a batik pattern. Within a month, the design wore off and the color faded, but the design worked OK. I did not think to add pockets...nice touch!

Lisa Gordon said...

Laura, I LOVE this!!!
I used to do a lot of sewing, and I cannot tell you the number of times I've put something in backwards or upside down!

grandmabish said...

This is a great tutorial, and a beautiful strap. I really love the pocket idea. At that princess birthday party the other day, someone actually asked me for a business card!!!

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing this. Wonderful tutorial and beautiful strap. I just love the material you chose for it. It looks so regal!

I think it's nice that you're passing it on to a lucky reader.